“Sacrifice is an amazing principle. As we willingly give our time and talents and all that we possess, it becomes one of our truest forms of worship. It can develop within us a profound love for each other and our Savior, Jesus Christ. Through sacrifice our hearts can be changed; we live closer to the Spirit and have less of an appetite for things of the world.” - Sister Carol B. Thomas
The building of the Kirkland Temple took place because of much sacrifice made on behalf of the saints. Sacrifice especially during times of trial will help us grow and become more like our Heavenly Father. The saints were promised that if they did what he asked with a “lowliness of heart, in meekness and humility, and long suffering” the Lord would provide for their families. (D&C 118:3) Heavenly Father understood all that he was asking of them and he was prepared to take care of them if they did what he asked of them. He told them not to worry about debts because he would take care of them. He counseled them to be free from sin and be wise and if they did he would provide all things that are good for them.
We are all asked to make sacrifices everyday to help further the gospel. President Gordon B. Hinckley defined sacrifice so beautifully when he said: “Without sacrifice there is no true worship of God. … ‘The Father gave his Son, and the Son gave his life,’ and we do not worship unless we give—give of our substance, … our time, … strength, … talent, … faith, … [and] testimonies” (Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley [1997], 565). We should be doing something everyday to build up the kingdom of God. This doesn’t mean that we have to sacrifice everything we have and we do not have to sacrifice all of our time. What we should be doing is taking a small part of what we have and giving it to others. One way we can help others is by giving a generous fast offering each month.
“Fast offerings are used for one purpose only: to bless the lives of those in need. Every dollar given to the bishop as a fast offering goes to assist the poor. When donations exceed local needs, they are passed along to fulfill the needs elsewhere. Paying a generous fast offering is a measure of our willingness to consecrate ourselves to relieve the suffering of others.” –Elder Joseph B Wirthlin
I am blessed to be able to attend a school where we are taught by the spirit from teachers who have the same beliefs as the students. Everyday they sacrifice their time and talents to come to school and teach us the things that will help us grow. There are many people who sacrifice money and give generously to the school, which allows students to receive grants to pay for their education. Tithing money, which is a sacrifice for some member’s keeps the school running and also provides dedicated students with scholarships. Every semester I am among those lucky students who are provided with an academic scholarship to pay for my education. Without these scholarships I would have to go into debt to pay for my education. I am thankful for faithful tithe payers who sacrifice in order to pay their tithing every month. I have a responsibility to do the best I can while I am at school so that the sacrifices others have made on my behalf are not wasted. I also have the responsibility to thank my Heavenly Father for providing these blessing because I know that everything I have comes from him. I am very thankful for a school where I can study the gospel and grow my testimony while I earn a degree. In the future it is my responsibility to sacrifice when I can to help others in the same way I have been helped. I will pay my tithing faithfully so that others will have the same opportunities I have been given.
No comments:
Post a Comment