Webster Dictionary defines “record” as preservation in writing or other permanent form. We keep records of things in our lives everyday and we are asked to keep a record of our own lives for our posterity. Records and journals provide a unique opportunity for our posterity to look at our life and learn from our mistakes and successes. The Saints’ in Kirkland were told to keep records of all their persecution. They were told to gather up a” knowledge of all the facts, and sufferings and abuses put upon them by the people” (D&C 123:1). These charges were not accurate; they did not commit these crimes. The Lord wanted to expose the people who were making false accusations. He wanted those who were swayed by the lies that were being told to know the truth. When these records were passed to future generations they could be strengthened by the trails and sufferings of these people. We can also gain strength and benefit in our own lives by reading about the suffering that these Saints’ have been through.
Record keeping is so important for all of us. When we learn from the records that others keep we can improve upon mistake that they might have made. We can also gain strength from reading about trials that they might have overcome. We learn about the history of our country and the people who fought so hard to keep it free. As children in grade school we learn about the history of the state we live in. These things all come from records that people have kept. The Book of Mormon is a record that tells stories of prophets who fought for truth and righteousness. The Bible teaches us about the life of our Savior and we can learn by his example when reading the record of his life. These records are invaluable and provide us with an opportunity to grow our testimony.
The church keeps records of births, deaths, baptisms, endowments and sealing’s. These records allow us to do work for the dead and give those who have passed the chance to receive the blessings of baptism and sealing. Without these records we wouldn’t know who needed this very important work done. We are told many times in the scriptures to keep records. In D&C 21:1 the Prophet Joseph Smith was told “Behold, there shall be a record kept among you,” This isn’t an idea that is new. Whenever the gospel of Jesus Christ has been upon the earth, prophets have made and preserved records. Again and again we are told that records are vital.
I have been blessed by record keeping in my life. I have grandmothers who have done genealogy and written their own life stories. These records have blessed my life. I am uplifted by the persistence and courage that my grandmother had during times of trial in her own life. I feel the spirit when she writes about the things that she knows to be true. I can pass these journals to my children and they can pass them on to their children. They will continue to bless all of my family for years to come. I feel excited to know that my children can have the same feelings I do when I read my grandmothers testimony.
Church records allow me to gain and strengthen my testimony. They have blessed my life because I am able to teach my children by reading them stories from the Book of Mormon and teach them about Jesus. When I read to them and teach them I see their eyes light up and I know that the things that I am teaching them are true. During these times I am thankful for the records of prophets.
I have such good examples in my life of the proper way to keep records. Unfortunately I haven’t done a good job of keeping the records of my life. Many times in my life I have started a journal and done really well for a few weeks. As time goes on I get relaxed about writing in my journal and I skip days when I don’t feel what I have to say is important. The more often I skip the less I write and after a few weeks I am not writing at all. Recently I have started keeping a family blog with pictures that I feel is a form of journaling. At the end of every year I turn these into books, which I pass on to my children. I do look back on these books and feel a sense of accomplishment. I know that my children enjoy looking at the books and remembering fun times we have had as a family.
I believe the Lord would be proud of the record keeping that I have done but I think he also expects much more of me. I can do better about keeping records and journals. “Keeping a journal gives you a chance to let some whisperings trickle through you from your own spirit, as well as from the Spirit of the Lord,” says Brother M. Gawain Wells, a psychologist with the Brigham Young University Comprehensive Clinic.
There are important parts of record keeping that I do not include in my blog books. There is always room for improvement. When you keep records about what you do, you are more inclined to do it better.
No comments:
Post a Comment