Saturday, November 26, 2011

Recorded in Heaven

D&C 127:7 That in all your recordings it may be recorded in heaven; whatsoever you bind on earth, may be bound in heaven; whatsoever you loose on earth, may be loosed in heaven;

This week my blog entry will be about record keeping and it's importance in our lives. Everyday we have the opportunity to keep a record of our lives to pass down to our posterity. This is something that cannot only benefit us but them as well. They can be inspired and uplifted by our words. President Spencer W. Kimball spoke about record keeping saying, "The Savior emphasized the importance of keeping records. And one of the most valuable records is the one you keep of your own life." We should learn from the Savior's example and make record keeping a part of our lives everyday.

Why do you think proper record keeping is so important?
Records allow us to see the temple work that is being done and keep track of what is left to be done. It is so important that we know what work has already been completed so that we don’t miss doing work for one of Heavenly Fathers children. It also keeps us from doing work that has already been completed at a different time. Genealogy work records and finds people who need to have ordinances performed on their behalf. This is a very important part of getting work done for many people who have already passes.

What particular Temple ordinance does Joseph Smith want to be properly recorded?
Joseph Smith is speaking about Baptisms for the Dead.

How does proper record keeping connect (“bind” or “seal”) heaven and earth?
Records are kept when a man and a woman are sealed in the temple. We can choose to be married her on earth but it isn’t binding in heaven. In order to be with our spouse in the eternities we must have a temple marriage. A temple marriage is also the only way we can reach exaltation. When a faithful and worthy member holding the Priesthood uses God’s power you can be together forever.

What records are being kept on earth? What records are being kept in heaven?
There are many types of records that can be kept here on earth. We can keep journal records that keep track of the experiences that we have in our lives. These records can help our posterity learn from our mistakes and gain strength from our accomplishments as well as trials. There are also records that are kept of baptisms, confirmations and sealing’s. These are records that are also kept in heaven as well. When we take our endowments and are sealed to our spouse Heavenly Father is very well aware of these things and a record is taken.

What records are kept that binds or seals you to others, either living or dead?
Temple records of sealing’s performed binds us to our spouse as well as our families if we live righteously.

What other places can you think of in the scriptures where the Lord’s people are admonished to keep proper records?
In Alma 37:2 it speaks about record keeping saying, And I also command you that ye keep a record of this people, according as I have done, upon the plates of Nephi, and keep all these things sacred which I have kept, even as I have kept them; for it is for a wise purpose that they are kept.

The New Testament is a record of our Saviors life. This is a record that I am thankful for each and every day. When I read it I learn about the Savior and how he lived his life. I can learn from him and be a better person because of this record that was kept about his life.

What, if any, application do you see for the records you personally keep?
I haven’t always been the best record keeper. I have started many journals in my life but never finished them. I have children now and I want them to be able to have a record of my life so that they can look back and gain strength from the trials that I have gone through. I also want them to be able to look at my life and be happy and uplifted spiritually because of the knowledge that I have shared. Record keeping is so very important but “the simple truth that if you keep records about what you do, you are more inclined to do it better.” - Elder Floyd A. Hill

We should never forget the promise in D&C 127:7 that says, "That in all your recordings it may be recorded in heaven; whatsoever you bind on earth, may be bound in heaven; whatsoever you loose on earth, may be loosed in heaven;"

No comments:

Post a Comment